Psychiatry and Organizational Consultation
Shahin Sakhi, M.D., Ph.D., Inc.
2100 Sawtelle Blvd., Suite #107
Los Angeles, CA 90025
- Psychotherapy; individual, couple, family, and group.
- Supervision and consultation for therapists
Teaching and Consulting:
||Biology, Suma Cum Laude, 1988
York College of CUNY, Queens,
||Molecular Neurobiology, 1996
University of Southern California, Los Angeles
University of Southern California, Los Angeles
||1997 to 2001
UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute, Los Angeles
|Consultant, AKRI Certified
||AK Rice Institute for Study of Social Systems
2009 to present
||Systems Centered Training and Research Institute,
2006 to present
|Training in Hypnosis
||Certificate in 100-hr hypnosis training,
Dr. Michael Yapko Hypnosis
|Human Complex Systems
||Graduate Certificate, Studying Human Complex Systems through computer
and live modeling and simulation
|Training in Poetry Therapy
||National Association of Poetry Therapy,
2004 to present
2008 to present
Honors and Distinctions
- Member of Honor Society, Alumni, York College of CUNY, N.Y., since
- Partial Tuition Scholarship, USC, Medical School, 1989
Fellowship, USC, School of Medicine, 1991-1992
- Neuroscience Subspecialty Award, Western Section, American Federation
of Clinical Research (AFCR) Annual Meeting, Carmel, CA 1994
- Award Abstract, Medical Student Research Forum, USC, Los Angeles,
- Honorary Membership, American Federation of Clinical Research (AFCR)
- Abstract chosen by the 1994 Public Information Committee of the Society
for Neuroscience for inclusion in the PRESS BOOK for a news release
and a press conference because of its special interest.
- Work cited in Science News Magazine, 146: 431, 1994.
- AFCR Medical Student Award, Carmel, CA 1995-1996
- Member of Honor Society, Alumni, USC, since 1997
- Member of honor society, PHI KAPPA PHI, since 1997
- Psychiatry Resident Award of excellence, Jansen Pharmaceutical research
- Psychiatry Resident of the Year Award, Pfizer CNS Educational Grant,
- Curriculum Development, California State Educational Grant, UCLA
School of Medicine, 2001
Developed and organized Geriatric Psychiatry
Curriculum for psychiatry residents at UCLA.
Administrative and Consulting Experience
- President, Grex, West Coast Affiliate of AK Rice Institute for the Study of Social Systems, 2009 to present.
- Directed a 3-day Group Relations Experiential Learning Conference
at UCLA, November 13-15, 2009 titled “Making Choices in an Uncertain
- Directed a 6 week post conference application seminar,
Spring of 2007
- Directing experiential group dynamics, UC Interdisciplinary
Psychoanalytic Consortium (UCIPC) Annual Meeting, Lake Arrowhead,
- Directed an experiential group dynamics workshop,
Fall Institute Conference, University of Vermont (UVM), October 2003
and October 2005.
- UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute and Hospital:
- Chief of psychiatric residency curriculum, 2000-2001
- Chair of curriculum committee in Residency council, 1998-2000
- Chair of call committee in Residency Council, 1998-2000
- Univeristy of Southern California (USC):
- Editor in Chief, USC Journal of Medicine, 1996-1997
- Associate editor, USC Journal of Medicine, 1995-1996
- Student Editor, USC Journal of Medicine, 1994-1995
- Co-president, neuroscience journal club, USC, School of Medicine,
- Research Internship, Psychology, Mammalogy Department, American Museum
of Natural History (AMNH), New York, NY, summers of 1985, '86, & 87
- Research Fellow, Molecular Neurobiology, Neurology Department, USC,
School of Medicine, 1991-1992
- Ph.D. studies, Research Assistant, Molecular Neurobiology, Neurosciences
program, Department of Biological Sciences, USC, 1992-1996
- Dissertation Topic: p53 induction is a marker of pathologic neuronal
- Sakhi S, Trzcinski AL, & Tobach E. Two-way
shuttlebox avoidance conditioning in three DAB rat stocks. Physiology & Behavior, 43:
- Sussman MA, Sakhi-S, Barrientos P, Ito M, & Kedes
in rat cardiac muscle. Localization of protein is independent of messenger
RNA distribution during myofibrillar development. Circulation
Research, 75: 221-32, 1994.
- Sussman MA, Sakhi S, Tocco G, Najm I, Baudry M, Kedes L, & Schreiber
SS. Neural tropomodulin:
developmental expression and effect of seizure activity. Brain Res. Dev Brain Res, 80: 45-53, 1994.
- Sakhi S, Bruce A, Sun N, Tocco G, Baudry M, & Schreiber SS. p53
induction is associated with neuronal damage in the central nervous
system. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 91: 7525-7529, 1994.
- Schreiber SS, Sakhi S, Dugich-Djordjevic MM, & Nichols NR.
p53 induction and DNA damage in hippocampal granule cells after adrenalectomy. Exp Neurol, 130: 368-376,
- Bruce AJ, Sakhi S, Schreiber SS, & Baudry M. Development
of kainic acid and N-methyl-D-aspartic acid toxicity in organotypic
hippocampal cultures. Exp Neurol, 132: 209-219, 1995.
- Sakhi S, Ning S, Wing LL, Metha P, & Schreiber SS. Nuclear
accumulation of p53 protein following kainic acid-induced seizures.
Neuroreport, 7: 493-496, 1996.
- Pasinetti GM, Tocco G, Sakhi S, Musleh WD, DeSimoni MG, Mascarucci
P, Schreiber S, Baudry M, & Finch CE. Hereditary
deficiencies in complement C5 intensify excitotoxic brain lesions in
mice: new roles of the C-system in neuronal and astrocytic functions. Neurobiol Disease, 3:197-204,
- Sakhi S, Gilmore W, Tran N, & Schreiber SS. p53-defficient
mice are protected against adrenalectomy-induced apoptosis. Neuroreport, 8:233-5,
- Sakhi S, Bruce A, Sun N, Tocco G, Baudry M, & Schreiber SS.
Induction of p53
and DNA fragmentation in organotypic hippocampal cultures following
excitotoxin treatment. Exp Neurol, 145:81-8,
- Tocco G; Musleh W; Sakhi S; Schreiber SS; Baudry M; Pasinetti
and glutamate neurotoxicity. Genotypic influences of C5 in a mouse
model of hippocampus neurodegeneration. Mol Chem Neuropath, 31:289-300,
- Tocco G; Freire-Moar J; Schreiber SS; Sakhi S; Aisen, PS;
Pasinetti, GM. Maturational
regulation and regional induction of cyclooxygenase-2 in rat brain:
implications for Alzheimer's disease. Exp Neurol, 144:339-49,
- Sakhi S & Schreiber SS. p53 induction is associated
with apoptosis in the central nervous system. In Apoptosis Techniques
and protocols, ed. J Poirier, Totowa, N.J, Humana Press, 1997.